Cost and Financial Aid

Cost of Study (2018-2019)

Fees and tuition for one year (3 quarters) of graduate study currently total approximately $17,921.00 for California residents and $33,023.00 for international students and for U.S. citizens/permanent residents. The latter, if financially independent of parental support, can become exempt from non-resident supplemental tuition costs during the second year of graduate study by making appropriate arrangements to establish residency in California. Applicants with excellent academic records and those awarded teaching assistantships can apply for Nonresident Tuition Fellowships. For a completed breakdown of fees and tuition, please see the university's Student Fees page.

Financial Assistance

Teaching Assistantships

A limited number of teaching assistantships are available to qualified students even in their first year. The current rate (2018-2019) for a teaching assistantship at 50% time (the normal load) is $20,652.00 per academic year. In addition to this salary, TAs receive a partial fee remission. For current remission rates,click here

Prospective graduate students who wish to be considered for teaching assistantships in French should complete and return the online Teaching Assistant (TA) application for prospective graduate students as early as possible, but in no case later than March 1st.  In addition to their salary, TAs receive a partial fee remission.  For current remission rates, click here.  First-year students are typically considered for TA positions for the following courses:

  • Elementary French (French 1, 2, and 3)

Scholarships and Fellowships

University scholarships and fellowships are available to students with exceptional academic qualifications. Applications will be available as part of the online application process and must be submitted, along with all other parts of the application, by January 15th. U.S. Citizens must also complete the FAFSA.

Other Financial Aid

Information concerning grants, loans, and work-study assistance is available from the Financial Aid Office. Inquiries concerning housing costs and availability should be directed to Student Family Housing or the Community Housing Office.